Based: Tottenham, North London
Starting with a humble brew house in East London, my client’s operations has rapidly grown and in 2013 they moved to a brand new Brewery in North, London. Since moving they have continued to grow and the brewery has grown dramatically.
They now export to 22 countries worldwide and is the UK’s fastest growing drinks brand with year on year triple digit growth, winning multiple awards along the way. A new brewery project is planned to come online in 2018, taking capacity up to 30 million litres and cementing it as a world-renowned brewer of craft beer.
My client are now looking for a Head Brewer who will be responsible for all aspects of the beer production process and day-to-day operations of the Brewery. Reporting into Founder & CEO, this is a high-level strategic role and an amazing opportunity to join and exciting and innovative company that is truly passionate about what they do!
• You will lead all day-to-day activities necessary to produce high quality, consistent beer.
• Manage all brewery operations of our 55HL brew system crafting 40,000 HL + per year.
• Lead, manage, and schedule the brewers, cellaring, barrel programme and packaging team
• Oversee the QA/QC/lab department.
• • Effectively represent Beer Production in weekly cross department meetings regarding Quality and Production.
• Advocates a continuous improvement culture throughout his/her team.
• Assists in development and updating of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as necessary.
• Conducts critical assessment of beers through active participation in raw material and beer sensory panels.
• Facilitates future growth of the brewery through continuous optimization of current processes.
• Works with senior management on new product development initiatives.
• Maintain brewing, cellaring, packaging and other related documentation in an organized and complete manner.
• Maintain healthy communication with other departments (Sales, Distribution, QA/QC, Tasting Room, and Production).
• Responsible for inventory control.
• Oversee and improve production efficiency.
Skills & experience required:
• Solid and proven experience working as a head brewer ideally for a large production facility, with a history of progressive advancement in leadership or management positions
• College degree and certification from an accredited brewing program, with a focus in microbiology, food science or chemical engineering is a plus
• Strong technical approach to soliving problems
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experienced in managing, training, and mentoring a team
• An eye for the big picture and how the details support it
• The ability to work unsupervised and manage your own time and the time of others effectively
• Create a world-class beer development program – taking a beer from concept to pilot batch, testing, scaling up, and full-blown production runs.
• Focus on quality and consistency of finished product
Technical knowledge required
• Experience operating and managing an automated brew system.
• Technical and practical knowledge of all aspects of brewery operations, including but not limited to:
• business acumen for strategic forecasting, scheduling, budgeting and efficiency metrics
• inventory and supply chain management, including materials ordering and logistics
• yeast management, fermentation theory/practice
• quality control and lab procedures such as: cell counting/viability testing, D.O., CO2 and packaged air testing, gram staining and microbiological analysis
• equipment, cellaring, cleaning and maintenance best practices, SOP development and enforcement
• working knowledge of safety and legal compliance requirements and enforcement
The successful candidate will have the tenacity to strive for the best and gravitas to make a huge difference and be part of my client’s incredible journey.